Businesses taking action
Businesses across the Surf Coast Shire are taking action and leading the transition to renewable energy.
Whilst much of the advice and tips on this website are transferrable to commercial situations, such as energy saving advice and tips on finding suppliers, there are a number of things to consider specific to business situations.
Does solar make commercial sense for your business?
If you’re using electricity during the day, the installation of solar makes financial and environmental sense.
- Recover your finance or investment in as little as 4 years
- Provide shared benefits for owners and tenants
- Attract future tenants or help retain existing ones
Contact Council for a FREE desktop solar assessment.
All we need is a copy of your latest bill and electricity usage data, and we can conduct the assessment remotely. Contact us to find out more on email@example.com or (03) 5261 0600.
Commercial Case Studies
Check out some example case studies of commercial buildings within the Surf Coast Shire that have installed solar here.
Funding options for solar projects for businesses include:
- Option 1 – Self funded – this is often the most cost effective way to finance a project if the capital funding is available
- Option 2 -Third Party Finance – if the system is sized appropriately there are finance models where the loan repayments can be less than or equal to the savings realised by the solar system.
- Option 3 – Community owned model through Surf Coast Energy Group.
Surf Coast Energy Group (SCEG) is helping facilitate the Surf Coast Shire’s transition to renewable energy. SCEG are enabling community investment in renewable energy projects that are financially self-supporting and return economic as well as social benefits to the community. The model is summarised in 3 simple steps:
- SCEG assesses the suitability of the site.
- If suitable, community investors fund the purchase and installation of a solar power system on the site.
- Business purchases the energy generated by the system at a discounted rate or leases the system from SCEG.
For more information about this option please get in touch on firstname.lastname@example.org or (03) 5261 0600.
Instant Asset Write Off
Some businesses may be able to access beneficial tax deductions for the cost of installing a solar system through the Instant asset write off scheme. We recommend you talk to your account or tax professional to find out if you may be eligible.